Pi Recipe and a Check in

Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Hey Everyone,

This month has flown by... I can't even believe it is the 15th. I posted a photo of dinner, Pi day, on my Instagram last night and had a few requests for a recipe so I thought why not put it here for everyone.

 Since I never plan to take a photo when I cook I didn't mind that my tomatoes weren't perfectly sliced but now I wish they had been... in my defense I only had half a tomato to work with and I had just cut my finger a few days ago so I didn't want to get too close to the knife... hehe

Sausage and Spinach Quiche  (makes one deep dish)

(pre-heat oven to 375)

1 lb bulk Hot Italian Sausage

1/2 Medium Onion Chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic Minced
1 pkg Frozen Chopped Spinach (10 oz)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 Eggs
1 cup cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sliced tomato (optional)
Prepared crust (recipe follows)

In a large skillet brown sausage with onion and garlic, drain. Thaw spinach and drain moisture (I squeeze it in a strainer) then put it between a couple layers of paper towels and press to really get as much of the moisture out as possible. Combine the spinach with the sausage mixture. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, and salt. In the bottom of the prepared crust layer the cheese, top with the sausage/ spinach mixture, then pour the egg mixture over the top of it all. Arrange tomato slices on top. Bake for 50-55 minutes until a knife inserted half way between the side and the middle comes out almost clean. This is the hard part. It is going to look like it isn't done but if you jiggle it and it doesn't look runny you are okay. Let it rest for 10 minutes then serve with a pretty salad :)

Parmesan Crust
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 pinches of salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (cold)
5 teaspoons ice water

Combine flour, cheese, and salt. With a pastry mixer or two knives cut in the shortening. The mixture should look somewhat like wet sand when you are done. Move it all to one side of the bowl then sprinkle the water one teaspoon at a time on the edge of the flour mixture and move a bit of it to the other side of the bowl with a fork. Do this with each of the 5 teaspoons of water until the water and flour mixture are combined. This will not make a traditional looking dough it will still be loose. Pour it all into your deep dish pie plate and press it down and up the sides of the plate until it covers the whole plate. It will stick together enough to form a crust. If you haven't made a crumb crust before it is meant to be a bit thicker than a pie crust would normally be, so don't worry if it seems thicker than you are used to. Fill and bake. This crust comes out crispy and savory. I never use a regular pastry crust for quiche anymore because we love this so much!

Hope you enjoy this with your family.

Come back on Friday for something special!

Hugs,
Julie

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thanks for sending them.

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature